As one of the top causes of clogs and blockages in the home plumbing system, a human hair is something homeowners have to be cognizant of. Particularly within areas like the bathroom, where lots of personal grooming will go on, the risk of hair clogging drains is always present.
At Expert Services- Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical, we’re here to help. We have high-level drain cleaning services in the event your drain clogs up with hair, and we also have the expertise to help you avoid these issues in the first place. Let’s take a look at some strategies for avoiding hair clogs.
For many homeowners, the best option here is using drain covers in places where hair becomes an issue – primarily in the shower or sink. There are two common options used here:
- Top drain screen: This is a very simple process that involves buying a basic screen that’s of the proper size, then placing it over your drain. These screens can be found at all hardware stores. Place one in each shower or tub. For kitchen sinks, you can get a mesh strainer that fits your drain.
- Underneath drain screen: These are screens that can be installed by removing the drain cover, placing the screen in the middle of the pipe, fastening it, and reinstalling the cover.
Sinks and Showers
In addition, there are a few basic tactics you can take to simple lower the amount of hair near your sinks and shower drains:
- Brushes: Before bathing, consider taking a minute to brush your hair if it’s long. This will remove unattached hairs, so that none fall in the shower.
- Water: Most men shave over the bathroom sink – while these hairs are small, you should still run the tap for about a minute when finished to allow hair to run the whole way through the pipe rather than getting stuck.
- Keep an eye out: During showers, look for any loose hairs on the surface of the tub. If you see them, place them in a pile away from the drain so you can throw them out after.
For more on avoiding hair clogs, or for help removing them or any of our other plumbing services, speak to the pros at Expert Services- Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical today.