The plumbing industry is always evolving, and certain areas improve significantly with technology. One of these areas is the water heating realm, which has undergone significant advances with the advent of the tankless water heater.
At Expert Services- Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical, we’re here to provide installation and repairs for tankless water heaters. How do these work, and how can they benefit you compared to a conventional water heater? Let’s take a look.
The operation of a tankless water heater is simple. When you switch on a hot water tap, the tankless heater draws some cold or room temperature water through a pipe into the unit. Once it’s there, a gas burner or an electric heating element begins to heat it rapidly.
Storing things this way eliminates the need for the tank to hold water that’s constantly hot – and this reduces the energy output. Most tankless heaters can deliver water at a rate of two to five gallons per minute, a great rate.
Types of Tankless Heaters
There are two primary types of tankless water heater:
- Small units: Installed only near the point of use, these are single sources of water that boast smaller output capacities designed for an individual device.
- Larger units: Capable of servicing an entire house, these units may have multiple points of use.
There are a few big advantages to using a tankless heater compared to a conventional version:
- Smaller: Tankless heaters take up less space than a traditional water heater.
- Water use: Rather than a larger amount of water used while it’s stored in a chamber awaiting water flow, tankless heaters only use the amount of water that’s needed. There’s no need to let water run for a few seconds before it becomes hot.
- Standby losses: The energy that’s lost while hot water cools in pipes or a storage tank is not a concern, which can limit costs in a huge way.
- Unlimited hot water available
- Durability: Tankless water heaters are expected to last up to 20 years, compared to between 10 and 15 years for conventional heaters.
Want to learn more about tankless water heaters or any of our other plumbing services? Speak to the pros at Expert Services- Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical today.