Got a plumbing problem that needs fixing? Don’t make that house call until you discover how to do it yourself instead.
We can’t all be certified plumbers, but some plumbing jobs are easier to do than others, and several plumbing issues can be prevented before they ever become a problem.
Certain plumbing jobs often require the expertise of a pro, and if that’s the route you decide to take, you should consider several factors before spending any money on a plumber in Salt Lake City, Utah. Find out more about how to hire a professional plumber the right way here, STOP flushing Money down the Toilet!
But doing your own plumbing can end up saving you a lot of money in the long run. It’s important to first consider how much time and effort you have to dedicate to the job at hand. Use the following checklist to help gauge the plumbing problem you’re having and estimate much time it will take to do on your own.
Watch this video detailing the maintenance tips you must learn before you ever try doing a plumbing job on your own here https://www.expertservicesutah.com///faq-videos/.
Follow these simple plumbing maintenance tips to fix or prevent future plumbing problems:
- My dishwasher doesn’t drain properly. Water seeping back into the dishwasher is generally due to a poorly installed hose. Dishwasher hoses need to travel uphill from the washer to the bottom of the countertop, and then run downhill to the sink, creating an upward loop which prevents water from the sink draining into the dishwasher. If the hose is installed correctly, the likely culprit is the inlet water solenoid valve. An appliance technician can repair or replace that valve.
- Prevent clogged drains. Plumbers often find the main cause of clogged or backed up drains is due to grease of all kinds. It’s important to avoid pouring grease down your drains. Quilted toilet paper doesn’t break up as easily as non-quilted varieties, and this can also lead to clogged drains. Also, plumbers recommend using a drain filter or drain strainer to eliminate debris like hair and food from entering and eventually clogging pipes. Liquid drain cleaners can fix minute problems, but other measures are required when this doesn’t solve the problem.
- My toilet drains slow. This is likely due to a blockage of some kind. You can find a hand snake at your local hardware store that can dislodge the blockage if the blockage isn’t too far down the line. Otherwise, a longer, industrial snake would need to be used.
- Fix rattling pipes. All you need to do is apply plastic pipe hangers that are installed between your water lines and your floor joists. Of course, this assumes that your water lines are easily accessible, and many are not. Other problems could exist with rattling pipes as well. Diagnose these issues by accessing your water lines first.
- Increase garden hose pressure. Call the water department in your area and ask about the water pressure in your area. They can tell you about the level of pressure in your area, but cannot do anything about your specific issue until they do something with the whole area. If the water pressure in your area is good, you can increase the pipe diameter or purchase a high powered hose nozzle as well.
- Maintain your water heater. Drain your water heater twice per year. Draining your water heater will extend its life when done regularly.
Hiring a plumber to do work you could’ve done yourself with just a little homework can save you a great deal of money. And if the problem comes up again, you will have the experience to fix the issue in less time. Contact Plumber Salt Lake City if you have more questions about do-it-yourself plumbing.
About Plumber Salt Lake City – Benjamin Franklin Plumbing
Only the Top 1% of all plumbing technicians have achieved the status of Benjamin Franklin… “the Punctual Plumber”. Let Plumber Salt Lake City – Benjamin Franklin Plumbing proves their commitment to excellence by providing an inexpensive home estimate today.